WTGBET

WTGBET POSITION:WTGBET > Play Casino Online >

Italy's Tonali and Zaniolo dropped from national squad after 'betting probe'

Updated:2024-03-30 07:29    Views:69

According to Sky News, Italian footballers Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo have been dropped from Italy’s national squad ahead of the England match after a 'betting probe'.

Newcastle United's Tonali and Aston Villa's Zaniolo will both miss the team's upcoming games with Malta and England, according to the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).

Italy will host Malta on Saturday before going to Wembley on Tuesday to go head-to-head with England, but Tonali and Zaniolo won't be playing.

The two will be investigated by the Turin Public Prosecutor's Office while at the national team's training centre in Coverciano.

It is yet to be revealed what the two footballers are being investigated for, but the FIGC said: "The midfielders would not be in the correct frame of mind to face the upcoming matches."

Italy's ANSA news agency said both players had been questioned in a betting probe.

The FIGC said: "Regardless of the nature of the events, considering that the two players are not in the necessary condition to face the matches scheduled for the next few days, the Federation has decided, also for their protection,Play Casino Online to allow them to return to their respective clubs."

Earlier this week it was announced that another Italian footballer, Juventus' Nicolò Fagioli, was being investigated for allegedly betting on illegal websites.

In Italy, players found guilty of betting on their own sport can be faced with a three-year ban from the sport and fined up to €25,000 ($26,390).